Thursday, January 3, 2013

mushroom appetizers.

Man, have I been ignoring this blog or what? Suffice to say, this is one of my many 2013 resolutions. Cook more, eat in and less take-out. And document it all on this blog, of course.

Presenting my latest love. These mushroom appetizers that Suzanne brought to my Christmas potluck are delish and surprisingly easy to make.


Dice mushrooms and onions finely. I recently purchased a food processor and it has been used solely for this purpose so far. Sauteed in a bit of butter till the onions turn translucent. Season with salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Add a dollop of sour cream, mix well and let cook for several minutes.

Now as far as the shell goes, Suzanne makes her own but it sounded like too much work. And too much cream cheese and butter. So I opted for the easier option. Store bought puff pastry. Anyone who knows me knows I can't make my own dough. Or roll it, for that matter.

Cut the pastry into squares. Place a spoonful of the filling in the middle, close the seams and primp the sides with a fork. Stick into a preheated 450F oven for 10-12 minutes.

You can make them as big or as small and dainty as you want them. You can make a big batch and freeze 'em, too. Just toss them into the oven whenever you need a quick fix. I like to make slightly big ones and just have one or two for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment