Sunday, July 27, 2014

Cherry cake.

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 whole egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup cherries, roughly chopped

I love cherries. Along with mangoes and lychees and pineapples, they are my favorite fruit. Every time summer rolls around, I buy a huge bag of cherries from the super market and usually they rot before I have a chance to eat through them. This means it's usually a race against time to find an easy recipe to use them up before they go bad. I decided on this delicious recipe from the Pioneer Woman's website and tweaked it.

Method:

--Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
--Butter a square baking dish.
--Cream sugar and butter; add egg and combine.
--Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the mixing bowl and then pour in the milk.
--Add cherries and chopped walnuts (I pulsed it for a couple of seconds on my food processor) and mix gently. Or you could run your mixer over it one last night resulting in a glorious purple batter that resembles black currant ice cream.
--Pour batter into buttered pan and smooth out the surface. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment