Friday, September 9, 2011

crab and shrimp noodles!

So, it's been a while since I've posted. Not that I have not been eating or cooking (less of the latter) but I've been internally debating between shutting this blog down and/or merging it with my regular everyday blog. However, all that changed when Rimi asked me for a recipe and I hastened to write this post, given that no one EVER asks me for a recipe -- actually that's not true at all, my apple crumble is a huge hit at all school events/ potlucks (thanks Mrs. Strock!) and Suzanne and Marcella did, in fact, ask for that particular recipes several times  -- but as it turns out that Rimi's comment was just the little push that this blog needed.

Any who, on to today's dish. Crab and shrimp noodles. It was inspired by a dish on Iron Chef America which is my favorite thing to watch on Sunday nights. Usually, the stuff they make on it is complicated and a tad too elaborate for my skill level but this one seemed doable in my kitchen and besides, it looked mad good.


So, let's start cooking! You will need boiled noodles, of course -- I had half a packet of glass noodles and half a packet of wide noodles languishing in my pantry so I did the sensible thing and boiled them together. Two eggs. Red and green peppers. I love red peppers but never buy them because they seem like an extravagant purchase but I found them at Talin for less than a dollar the other day and couldn't resist. Shrimp. Crab. Garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, chilli sauce, soy sauce, red onions, spring onions, mushrooms and jalapenos. The last item can be adjusted according to your taste buds.

Okay, now lightly grease wok with a few drops of oil. Break egg and scramble. The chef on television did it wonderfully with a pair of chopsticks but I used the last pair of chopsticks from Taste of Thai to scratch my back while watching The Nanny reruns so I just did it the old fashioned way with a fork.

Throw in some diced onions, red/green peppers, mushrooms, spring onions, jalapenos and let it cook. Season with salt, pepper. Add some garlic paste, sprinkle red pepper flakes.

Last stretch now. Add the shrimp, sautee for a couple of minutes -- you don't wanna overcook the shrimp. I used pre-cooked, frozen shrimp, same thing with the crab. Drop the drained, boiled noodles. To kick up the taste notch a bit, add chilli sauce and soy sauce. I used my favorite Chinese sauce in a bottle -- very unimaginatively named Chinese Hot and Spicy Sauce -- from Talin. Mix everything together, let simmer for a  few minutes while the noodles soak up the sauce. Like everything else, serve hot! 

4 comments:

  1. When it comes to kick-starting food blogs, Rimi is da bomb, I tell you ;-)

    This recipe is absolutely brill. I am going to make this quite soon. Thanks a tonne for this. I like nothing better than spicy noodles with seafood, esp. if I can manage a little gravy in the noodles.

    Also, I love your chopstick story :-|

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks A-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rimi--This blog did need a kickstart.

    I, too, am a big fan of soupy, seafood laden noodles. It's why I love Korean + Vietnamese stuff so much.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Songbird -- It was! Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete