Sunday, March 13, 2011

the 'kitchen-sink' daal.

I am not a big fan of daal (lentils/beans) to be honest. I do love me some daal makhni though. Aah, daal makhni, tandoori chicken at Azad Hind. And naan, how I miss thee. Anyway, I spotted some organic mung beans at Sunflower on sale the other day so I bought them and decided to cook them for Sunday lunch. With parathas. I was feeling rather adventurous (not as adventurous as Tim who once cooked me pineapple-daal) so I decided to slash-dash this baby right through. Adjust as you like.

Soak mung beans overnight. Boil them.


Chop onions, tomatoes, jalapenos.



Heat oil. Fry ginger and garlic paste. Fry the onions, jalapenos and tomatoes in it as well till the onions brown.




Here's where I veered off-track. I had some minced chicken in the freezer so I dropped that into the pan and sauteed the chicken with the vegetables.



Add the boiled beans to the pan. Add salt, pepper, chilli powder, coriander powder for taste. I threw in a cup of beef broth for the brown color. You can simply add water for the chicken/daal to cook in.


Then I went a little crazy and added a dollop of tomato ketchup and organic greek yogurt. The yogurt, mostly because I didn't have any cream.


Once cooked, throw in a couple of spoons of butter and break an egg over it. Scramble egg.




Let the daal simmer till the gravy thickens. Garnish with chopped coriander. Squeeze half a lemon over it.


 

1 comment: