Wednesday, March 30, 2011

(indian) chinese chilly chicken

Even though Mr. Sachinky (who has now renamed himself as Mr. Tubby) and I are on a "diet," I thought that India's victory over Pakistan in the semi-finals deserved a good dinner. So I decided to make Chilly Chicken. The kind we get back home from the roadside locality restaurant. It's not really Chinese, more like, Indian-Chinese. Adjust the level of heat according to your taste-buds.

Gather ingredients: Chicken, flour, soya sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, honey, ketchup, spring onion, onion, green peppers, mushrooms, red chilly powder, jalapenos and vinegar. (Phew!)

Step One: Chop mushrooms, spring onions, onions, green peppers in large chunks.



Step Two: Marinate the cubed chicken in soya sauce, minced garlic, and a pinch of red chilli powder for half an hour.




Step Three: Dip the chicken in flour. Shake off the excess. (This is important. I did not do this thoroughly enough so it got a little soggy). Heat oil in a pan and (preferably, deep) fry the chicken till it browns.





Step Four: In a separate pan, heat oil and sautee the onions, jalapenos, bell pepper. I had mushrooms lying around in the refridgerator so I threw them in as well. But that's optional.


Step Five: Add beef/chicken broth. Add a spoon of soya sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, honey (or a dash of sugar). Salt and pepper for taste. Then add fried pieces of chicken of chicken to it.



Step Six: Let the chicken cook till the gravy thickens. Add spring onions as garnish.





I could've made some noodles as an accompaniment but I was way too hungry by then and it smelled so good. So legit, even. So we polished them off with tortillas.

3 comments:

  1. I am making this today girl. the only different thing I will be doing is adding some red coloring.I have made Indian chilly chicken before,kinda the same way you did, but I wanted more color.
    But I have a feeling this will turn out A-mazing.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used food coloring in my cooking before. Maybe I should give it a try?

    I made this again, the other day. This time, drier. So chicken cooked separately, veggies sauteed and then cooked both together for a couple of minutes. No gravy as such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy. I will give this a go for the husband.

    ReplyDelete